The iec 62793-2016 protection against lightning – thunderstorm warning systems standard was published last may 2016, it is an international standard because it was approved by the iec (international electrotechnical commission).
This International Standard describes the methodology to be used for lightning prevention, it lists the different ways to detect the possible lightning strikes that can affect us and estimates how can we generate the preventive alarms.
The standard specifies the following thunderstorm phases:
- Phase1: Initial fase, at this stage it’s when the thunderstorm is created and the electrostatic field rises considerably at ground level.
- Phase 2: Growth phase, intra-cloud and cloud-to-cloud Lightning first appearance. sometimes it can be cloud-earth lightning
- Phase 3: mature phase, cloud-to-cloud and cloud-to-ground lightning.
- Phase 4: Dissipation phase, at this stage the number of Lightning volts decrease and the electrostatic field reduces to good weather levels.
According to iec 62793 - 2016 standard the storm detector devices are classified by the stage of detection they offer:
- Class A devices: Detect thunderstorm during its whole life cycle (phases 1 to 4).
- Class B devices: from phase 2 to phase 4 detection, so cloud-to-cloud and cloud-to-ground lightning detection.
- Class C devices: detect only cloud-to-ground lightning located in phase 3 and 4.
- Class D devices: cloud-to-cloud and other electromagnetic fields with very limited efficiency detection.
The setup of an alarm includes three steps:
- Target area (TA), physical extension where the warning is needed .
- Monitoring area (MA), the warning is not necessary but we must take precaution.
- Coverage area (CA), is the coverage area of the prevention device.
Alarm triggering criteria:
- The standard defines different activation systems depending on the characteristics of the prevention devices
Alarm information delivery:
- A clear alarm delivery procedure and protocol should be defined to ensure that the alarm information will be properly received by the end user.
In the IEC 62793/2016 standard there are different informative attachments, the overview of the lightning phenomena, thunderstorm detection techniques and thunderstorm warning systems application examples.
What does the new iec 62793 / 2016 standard represent?
The new standard gives the lightning prevention sophistication methodology and it helps the development of new more accurate and reliable lightning detection devices. It helps also giving the necessary information to take decisions when a thunderstorm is coming.
INGESCO lightning prevention products are all according the standard as detailed below.
Storm detector: thunderstorm warning systems - previstorm.net
Real–time location, lightning prediction and warning system.
- According to IEC 62793:2016.
- High location accuracy.
- High detection and warning efficiency.
- Real-time information.
- 3D detection.
- No required installation, via internet location.