Lightning protection installation according the standard UNE 21186:2011. Basic guide for external lightning protection installation.
As the installation of lightning rods is a protection system, it is very important that it is performed by technically qualified personnel and under the current regulations.
- The top of the light terminal shall be installed at least 2 meters over the area that it protects (including antennas, refrigerating towers, roofs and tanks)
- Each lightning rod shall be connected to at least two down conductors.
- The receiving antennas (TV, radio, telephone) should be connecter directly or through and SPD or an isolated spark gap to the lightning protection system with a suitable conductor.
- The coaxial cable of the antennas should be protected with a surge protective device.
- The metallic elements that rise above the roof should be connected to the closest down conductor.
- The routing of the down-conductor should be as straight as possible, following the shortest path, avoiding sharp bends or upward sections.
- The bend radii should not be less than 20cm.
- Down-conductors will be placed preferably at the external part of the structure (whenever possible), avoiding the proximity of electrical or gas conductors.
- The grounding system should be placed in a registry cage in order to do periodical inspections.
- The registry cage (or, in its absence each down-conductor) should be provided with a test joint in order to disconnect the earth termination system for enabling measurements.
- The resistance value measured using a conventional equipment should be the lowest possible (less than 10 Ω).
- This resistance should be measured on the earthing termination insulated from any other conductive component.
- All earthing system for a same structure should be interconnected.
- It is recommended to add Quibacsol mineral compound to achieve lower soil resistivity.
The image shown is an outline, it does not correspond to real proportions.
DO YOU NEED A LIGHTNING PROTECTION INSTALLATION?
INGESCO covers all phases of protection, from manufacturing to installation. We have a qualified installers network for the complete installation of the lightning protection system.
DO YOU NEED LIGHTNING PROTECTION MATERIAL?
Are you an installer? We design and manufacture complete installations of lightning protection, surge protectors and prevention products. All our products are tested in LABELEC high voltage laboratory accredited by ENAC. Our offer is tailored to your needs to guarantee your safety.